Sunday, November 11, 2007

Broadway: Showstopper or a No Show


Broadway was shut down Saturday, November 10, 2007. There were many showstopper plays that went on strike. “Wicked”, “Phantom of the Opera”, “Mamma Mia” and many more musicals and plays were among the most popular shows that were shut down. These amazing showstoppers were very disappointed by not performing, but they had no choice but to strike since they have been working without a contract for awhile now. There has been no agreement met in the last three months or no new negotiations set up between the union and the companies. Their goal is to get a fair contract and to pay the workers what they deserve for their great performances.


It is very disappointing that Broadway has to suffer and no shows are being performed due to a contract that should have been negotiated many months ago. It is a shame that there has to be a walkout this time of year. Most people like to visit the city in November and December for the holidays. Besides affecting the tourists, the economy will suffer too. New York will have to step up and hopefully the union and producers will be able to work this strike out rather quickly.


This strike affected me personally because I had tickets to see “The Phantom of the Opera” through St. John’s University. My father has been really looking forward to seeing this play for several years now and ever since I said that my college is offering a discounted ticket through the Parents Associations, we jumped on this opportunity and got the tickets. Now that Broadway’s lights are dim, so are mine. I am very upset and hope that they resume negotiations soon so my family and I could go see the play, but not just for me and my family, I really do hope the strike does not last long because there are a lot of people that are disappointed and want to see showstopper performances on Broadway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21717187/

No comments: